Friday, August 27, 2010

Reflections on Moses

Today for my quiet time I decided to look at the sermon outline we had for last Sunday. Moses was the topic, and it popped into my head that God did not start to use Moses until he was 80 yrs. old. As someone who is closer to 80 than I like to think about, it occurred to me that my days of service are far from being over.

Moses: 3 months (or so) to age 40 - lived in the lap of luxury (Pharaoh's palace), servants to see to his every need, pleasant surroundings, educated in the ways of Egypt yet ignorant of the one true God, an outsider, knew he was a Hebrew - not really (my guess) accepted by the Egyptians and not accepted by his fellow Hebrews.

Age 40 - 80: Self-imposed exile to the desert, often dirty, different food, humbled, angry(?), confused (?), learned a trade (sheepherder - a position his upbringing would have taught him was the lowest of the low in terms of social acceptability), introduced to real acceptance and love, gains a wife and family

Age 80 - 120: Meets God, changed, grows from a stumbling, stuttering man to one of eloquence, dependent on God for his safety, grows in faith, learns obedience (sometimes the hard way), leader, revered by generations of Jews.

Lord, I keep thinking my days of service are over. Forgive me, and use me however you wish. I give you my permission today to do with me whatever you want. I trust You to supply every need for whatever you have in mind for me.

No comments: