Monday, August 23, 2010

Meditation

I love God's Word. I try to read something in the Bible every day, and the pattern I follow is to take the day's date (today is the 23rd) and read Ps. 23 + 30 (53)+ 30 (83)+ 30(113)+ 30 (143). This method takes you through the book of Psalms once each month. I confess, however, that when day 29 comes up and I should read Ps. 119, I skip it if it's a 30 day month, and read it on the 31st of those months. Then I read Proverbs for the day of the month.



Today's date being the 23rd - my favorite Psalm - I didn't get past it as I just began to meditate on it (I was listening in my Sunday School class yesterday where we learned we should meditate on scripture), and I began to realize again how awesome our God is. I don't use that word 'awesome' loosely as is the custom today. God truly is "awe-some", and I am awed by Him all the time.

I've taught extensively on the 23rd Psalm, taking it apart sentence by sentence, but today I saw something I'd never seen before - or maybe today something registered that never did before.

The Psalm goes like this:

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,
he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

Here's what really registered today. God, at times, wants me to slow down (lie in green pastures) so I can be quiet before him (still waters), so he can get me back to right thinking (restore my soul). When I'm all agitated about something, I can't lie down, relax, and get my thinking straightened out. But, God does for me what I can't do for myself. Sheep don't like rushing waters. Now, I like water (well I'm not too fond of whitewater rafting in the freezing rain), but I wouldn't be very relaxed in a row boat in the middle of a hurricane. When my soul is restored (mind, will, emotions), then he can lead me in the way of righteousness. A couple of verses later, the Psalm says, "He prepares a sumptious meal for me in the presence of my enemies (fear, worry, weariness). When I get into the Word and let it speak to me through the Holy Spirit, I am completely restored. Those enemies are gone - kaput!


I'm not walking through the valley of the shadow of death right now, but a dear friend is. As I prayed for her this a.m. I prayed that God's rod (His Word) and His staff (the Holy Spirit) would comfort her, and that she would be convinced that no matter what happens, God is goodness and mercy, and she will dwell in His house forever.

No comments: