Friday, August 13, 2010

Heroes

Everyone needs a hero. As a Christian I'm eliminating Jesus as my hero in this instance because He is my personal hero. But there are others whom I call heroes - Billy Graham and Dr. James Dobson come to mind. Both of them have fought the good fight, not given into the temptations that would be rampant in the celebrity world in which they move.

How about a hero closer to home. My 92 yr. old sister is my hero(ine). There is so much I could write about her - how well liked she is, how industrious - even at 92, how loving, how she sends birthday and anniversary cards to everyone of her countless grandchildren, nephews, nieces, great and great great grandchildren, nephews, nieces.

My own children consider her more of a grandmother type than their favorite aunt - probably because their grandparents on both sides were either deceased or distant. I try to call my sister once a week, and she'll often say - Chris called Sunday Night, or it was so good to hear from Joanne. Ray's wife sends her a letter every week.

I was trying to think of an adjective that best describes her. I finally decided she is grace-full.
The word grace - unmerited favor - is something I've heard about all my Christian life. We are saved by grace through faith, not be works, lest any man should boast -Eph. 2: 8,9. A basic verse that we all learn. So many other words come from grace - gracious, graceful, disgrace, gratuity for a few. There are many more.

But, my sister is grace-full - she is full of grace. She absolutely exhibits grace in all situations. She is the most unconditionally loving person I know. She can be very firm when needed, she has strong moral values, but without fail she unconditionally loves everyone - even those who have hurt or disappointed her. I have never heard her say a critical or judgmental thing about anyone else.

She's my hero and I want to be just like her when I grow up!

No comments: