Saturday, September 1, 2012

A letter from the past

We recently had to make a trip back to New York for a funeral.  While there, we went to visist one of my sisters-in-law.  She mentioned that she had my father's Bible and would I like it?

Of course, the answer was YES!

First, his name is engraved on the outside.  So I decided that I would give it to another sister-in-law who has a son with the same name and middle initial, or if she chose, to her grandson who has the name name but reversed.  (For example John Alan instead of Alan John)

The best thing was:

Inside the Bible was a copy of my mother's birth certificate and a certification of my father's birth.  I remember that when they applied for Social Security about 50 years ago that they had to write to the places where they were born for birthcertificates.  My mother's is exceptionally interesting.  It stated not only her name and her parents names, but whether they were legal or illegal residents of the the US - can you imagine the outcry today if this was on the birth certificate?  Also, were they white or Indian.

The next interesting item was a letter written by my father to my mother on the occasion of the birth of my oldest brother.  He was born at a time when Mom(s) went to a midwife, stayed there for two weeks before coming home.  My father didn't sign his name, but rather signed - "From your affectionate long-haired, blackbearded husband".  So cute and doesn't sound like the father I remember!

No comments: