Saturday, November 8, 2014

Attitudes


As I grow in my Christian walk I have become more and more aware that we need to develop an attitude of gratitude - no matter what happens in life.  Paul tells us to give thanks in everything and for everything.

You don't mean give thanks that my child has cancer, my husband has left me, I was abused as a child?

Yes, I do mean that.  Granted we don't thank God that our child has cancer.  However, there is something in this situation for which you can be thankful.  A kind neighbor watches the other children while you take your little one for her chemo treatment.  You have a support group that is praying for you.  You have a fine oncologist in your area to whom you can go for treatment.  Your insurance is picking up all the cost or most of it.  Your lack of insurance is being met by a fund raiser in your child's name.

Do you get the picture?  There is always something you can be thankful for.

The same holds true for any scenario you think of.

Recently this was brought home to me by the attitiudes of two friends who recently lost their spouses.  Theresa's husband had cancer and eventually succumbed to it.  Her attitude - We had time to say goodbye.  He made a list for me of things I need to know.  He had time to write notes to our two children.  Our children and grandchildren had a chance to say goodbye.

Beverly's husband was killed when he ran in front of a car on his daily run.  He had macular degeneration, and so he probably did not see the car.  Beverly's reaction - He didn't suffer, he probably never knew what happened.  I feel terrible for the woman who hit him.  She must be suffering because she could not stop in time.

Two tragedies met with grace and thankfulness in their time of sorrow.

Do they grieve their loss?  Of course, they do.
Do they wonder how they will cope now that all decisions are made by them without anyone to give advise?  Of course, they do.
Are they lonely?  Is that bed awfully big and empty now?  Of course.
Do they have tremendous decisions to make at this point?  Of course.

I admire both these ladies.

What is my  response to my friends' situations.  What  can I do?  I heard once that the evening is the hardest.  Everyone has gone into their own 'caves'.  The lonely one has a big cave and noone with whom to share it.  A phone call at that hour to let her know I care may be welcome.

We live in a couples world.  Perhaps including them  in a night out at a restaurant or to the movies or a play would be welcome.  A card now and then.

Prayer for wisdom as decisions are made is vital.

No comments: