Friday, August 28, 2009

Do the hard thing

I recently ordered 3 books for each of my children's families from Focus on the Family. I had tuned into the program one day and Alex and Brett Harris were the guests. They are 19 yr.old twins who have written a book - "Do Hard Things". I thought each of the grandchildren might be inspired by what these young men have accomplished in recent years.

I decided I should read the book so I'd know it was really o.k. for the g-kids. Of course, what could they teach me - after all, I have a granddaughter their age.

Wrong!

I've just read the first few chapters, but I'm already impressed and must admit that they did, indeed, have something to teach me.

The premise is that teenagers have been conditioned by society, school, peers, etc., to rebel, take the easy way out, "get by" academically, do as little as possible, be lazy, take no responsibility-----------you get the picture.

Am I ever lazy?
Do I just "get by" in my meal preparation, prayer time, volunteer time, hospital visitation ? Again the list goes on.

Do I have the attitude that as a very senior citizen I am somehow exempt from doing the very best for my family, my church, and my community?

Granted I no longer have the stamina to do all I did years ago. However, I have determined that each day I will do at least one hard thing.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Where's the rest of the post?

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!! Congrats on the new blog!! I would consider this a "hard thing" so you are on your way!!! :)